phoebewahl - ”The Gnome’s Home”
Phoebe Wahl 2013
Watercolor, collage & colored pencil.
Meet Jaclyn, she works in one of the many offices of the Learn Liberty team, and is a really dedicated activist for liberty. I’d like to think libertarians take care of their own.
Jaclyn’s house was broken into on 10/30/2013 and she lost, among other things, her new computer, right before her favorite holiday of Halloween. Let’s show her the power of crowdfunding and chip in to make her losses a bit more bearable.
Please, even if you can only spare a dollar anything would help her move beyond this setback.
Favorite way of spending a Friday night. #StopWatchingUs
Bilateral gynandromporphism - half female, half male.. This genetic anomaly is usually restricted to arthropods, but has been known to express itself in birds as well.
The women coming into places of power within the American political realm are not a cause for celebration for me. That’s because they are continuing the roles of authority and exploitation that the men held before them. They are doing nothing to eradicate the institutionalized classism or sexism in our legal system, and are in fact undertaking the roles necessary to continue implementing it.
I refuse to see someone as an ally simply because they are female. In fact, I consider someone like Janet Yellen to be antithetical to everything I hope to see achieved by women. The type of feminism supporting this kind of event largely sees women achieving roles of authority and power over other people as a victory. They completely disregard the dark nature required to sustain such a role: the exploitation and violation of women both domestically and internationally through financial, legal, and imperialistic means.
Feminists ought to support women who achieve roles of leadership that liberate those around them and enforce equal treatment of all individuals under the law. Feminists are not obligated to support women simply because they are able to do what men did previously- in particular if what the men did was detrimental to the cause of equality for all.
I would go so far as to say that it is degrading to the potential of feminism to perceive female liberation as merely replacing men in the roles they have already created. Women are capable of improving the quality of life for humans both domestically and globally through leadership and activism, and should be supported when they create their own roles in society that are not coercive or hierarchical.
I wouldn’t be happier to be robbed of my life or property simply because a woman was behind the mask. So no, I will not consider it a victory to see a woman funding the foreign policy that inevitably leads to death of women, men, and children in foreign countries. It feels more like a betrayal.
by Warsan Shire
1. I’m lonely so I do lonely things
2. Loving you was like going to war; I never came back the same.
3. You hate women, just like your father and his father, so it runs in your blood.
4. I was wandering the derelict car park of your heart looking for a ride home.
5. You’re a ghost town I’m too patriotic to leave.
6. I stay because you’re the beginning of the dream I want to remember.
7. I didn’t call him back because he likes his girls voiceless.
8. It’s not that he wants to be a liar; it’s just that he doesn’t know the truth.
9. I couldn’t love you, you were a small war.
10. We covered the smell of loss with jokes.
11. I didn’t want to fail at love like our parents.
12. You made the nomad in me build a house and stay.
13. I’m not a dog.
14. We were trying to prove our blood wrong.
15. I was still lonely so I did even lonelier things.
16. Yes, I’m insecure, but so was my mother and her mother.
17. No, he loves me he just makes me cry a lot.
18. He knows all of my secrets and still wants to kiss me.
19. You were too cruel to love for a long time.
20. It just didn’t work out.
21. My dad walked out one afternoon and never came back.
22. I can’t sleep because I can still taste him in my mouth.
23. I cut him out at the root, he was my favorite tree, rotting, threatening the foundations of my home.
24. The women in my family die waiting.
25. Because I didn’t want to die waiting for you.
26. I had to leave, I felt lonely when he held me.
27. You’re the song I rewind until I know all the words and I feel sick.
28. He sent me a text that said “I love you so bad.”
29. His heart wasn’t as beautiful as his smile
30. We emotionally manipulated one another until we thought it was love.
31. Forgive me, I was lonely so I chose you.
32. I’m a lover without a lover.
33. I’m lovely and lonely.
34. I belong deeply to myself .